Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Bluray/DVD Movie Review with no rants!

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)

The American version of the hit and critically acclaimed Swedish film based on the best selling novel of the same name, this film directed by David Fincher, (Fight Club, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Se7en), and adapted by Steven Zaillian (Schindler's List and Moneyball)

This English-language adaptation of the Swedish novel by Stieg Larsson follows a disgraced journalist, Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig), as he investigates the disappearance of a wealthy patriarch's niece from 40 years ago. He is aided by the pierced, tattooed, punk computer hacker named Lisbeth Salander (Rooney Mara). As they work together in the investigation, Blomkvist and Salander uncover immense corruption beyond anything they have ever imagined.

First, let me say that I am a huge fan of the novels and the Swedish films staring Michael Nyqvist (Blomkvist) and Noomi Rapace (Salander) and I honestly didn't think that anyone but Rapace could play Salander. Let me tell you that I was wrong.


The film follows Stieg Larsson's book more closely than the Swedish film and I appreciated that. There is more detail into the life of Lisbeth and Mikael, there lives before they met, relationships, work, etc. I felt like I got to know the characters better in Fincher's film than in the Swedish film.

I'm not saying that Rapace wasn't a revelation in all three films and doesn't deserve the praise she is still getting from her performance, but I think I liked Mara's Lisbeth more. It's a very shocking thing to admit because I honestly have never seen such a performance than Rapace's in the Millennium Trilogy, until Mara's.

Mara's 'take' on Salander is riveting, she all but vibrates with rage. The rape scene isn't as violent as was in the Swedish film and for that, I'm grateful, although if you have read the book, you know just how awful it was. She is strong, yet weak, hideously ugly, yet beautiful, small yet strong and I love her.

Lisbeth Salander is one of the greatest characters in literature/film history. Disagree? Read and watch!

Daniel Craig is a more sexy Blomkvist than Nyqvist and it's a good thing because in the books, Blomkvist is sort of a horndog who has women throw themselves at him. I couldn't see that with the Swedish film, but oh yes, I can in the US film.

All in all, both versions are amazing, well acted and directed. If you are a fan of film and want to witness amazing acting, watch both. You will not be sorry.

Take a look at the trailers for BOTH films

 
The Swedish Film


 
 
The American Film



*Look for more movie reviews to come*

2 comments:

  1. Very well put. I will see how I like the new version soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I hope you enjoy it and let us here know what you think.

    ReplyDelete