Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Just read a disturbing book....

I just finished reading "High On Arrival" by Mackenzie Phillips. It cronicles her life as a child star, abused teen, drug addict, abused adult, rape victim, mother, wife and survivor.

I wanted to read it out of the curiousity that one has when they see a wreck on the highway...you don't wanna look, but ya just can't help it.

This book, while horrifying, is a well written, deeply sad and moving insight into the life of a woman who had no chance in hell to be 'normal' and have a 'normal' childhood. She is lucky she made it out alive, I can tell you that.

In the days before Child Protective Services, Mackenzie was given cocaine at age 11 by her drug addicted father, John Phillips, and that began her 'new' life. She was used and abused by almost everyone she let into her life, and those who didn't treat her badly, she pushed away.

I have to say, I believe everything this woman says in her book. Why lie about such horrid things? I used to see her on "True Hollywood Stories" and the gossip rags about how hooked she is on drugs, how she got caught AGAIN with drugs, yada yada yada and I never EVER felt bad for her. Matter of fact, I couldn't stand her on "One Day At A Time" as Julie. She was unattractive, loud, mean and hateful. I liked Barbara on the show more. Anyway, now I see that this what all she was going through behind the scenes and I admire her.

This isn't a book for everyone, it is very disturbing and horrifying but it's also a tale of survival. I hope she continues to live a healthy, happy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment